Kyoto Brewing Company is a craft beer brewery located in Kyoto, Japan. Founded in 2015, Kyoto Brewing Company has been a story of continued success ever since. The three people behind KBC (as they’re often called) are Chris Hainge, Paul Speed, and Benjamin Falck. The beers from KBC have a strong Belgian influence, from the yeast used, to the style of beer. One of the main yeasts used is Belgian Ardennes, known for its spicy and fruit notes it imparts into beers. It also works well to produce bright beers that look good, no matter the light. The hops used at KBC also show a global connection as imported hops from the USA, New Zealand, Australia, Slovenia, and the UK are all used in some of their beers. Belgian beers have also heavily influenced the styles of beers made too, with Belgian saisons, stouts, and blonde ales being part of the core line up.
Kyoto Brewing Company Lineup
The following is a small list of Kyoto Brewing Company’s beers that we’ve had – by no means an exhaustive list. We’ll add to this as we drink more of them.
- Kyoto Brewing 6 Day Weekend – A 4.5% Belgian Ale brewed with Pilsner, Pale Ale, and Carapils malts along with Warrior hops, followed by Topaz and Mistral hops for aroma.
- Kyoto Brewing Berugii kara – A 5% amber ale brewed using Pilsner, Biscuit Malt, Cara 50, and Special B malts imported from Belgium with Mistral, Triskel, and Barb Rouge hops imported from France.
- Kyoto Brewing Double Dragon – A 5.5% stout which started out as a foreign export stout and then fermented using the in-house Belgian yeast followed by an addition of figs.
- Kyoto Brewing Ichigo Ichie – A 5.9% saison brewed using Belgian yeast and hops from both the USA and New Zealand.
- Kyoto Brewing Ichii Senshin – A 6.5% Belgian IPA brewed using Pilsner Malt, Maris Otter, Malted Wheat and uses Warrior, Chinook, Styrian Goldings, Willamette, and Centennial hops with Belgian Ardennes yeast.
- Kyoto Brewig Kuroshio no Gotoku – A 4.8% stout with its name that roughly translates to “Like the Black Tide”, with the Black Tide referring to the Japan current that works its way from Japan to the West Coast of the USA.
- Kyoto Brewing Nagoriyuki – A 4.9% hefeweizen brewed with Pilsner and Wheat malt, along with Merkur hops from Germany for bittering and Summer hops for flavour.
- Kyoto Brewing Minori – A 6.5% American IPA which uses Merkur hops for bittering, while for flavour and aroma, Kyoto Brewing Company used Citra and Mosaic
- Kyoto Brewing Summer Splash – A 5% American Wheat Ale that contains 33% wheat malt. It uses Merkur hops for bittering and Motueka hops from New Zealand with Summer hops from Australia being used for the flavour / aroma hops.
Kyoto Brewing Company Details
Address: 25-1 Nishikujo Takahatacho, Minami Ward, Kyoto, 601-8446
Homepage (in English): https://kyotobrewing.com/
Brewery Store: N/A
Kyoto Brewing Company Articles
The following is a list of articles about Kyoto Brewing Company on BeerTengoku