The founders, Bryan and Sayuri Baird, first learnt about brewing techniques in California in 1997 and opened up the Numazu Taproom in 2000. In 2001, Baird Beer opened up the smallest licensed brewery in 2001, with support from their families, quickly expanding in 2003 to a larger location. Baird Beer has seen rapid expansion since then, moving and opening two new breweries, with the largest opening in 2014. Baird Beer also has five bars that their beers are sold exclusively: Numazu, Nakameguro, Harajuku, Bashamichi, and Takadanobaba.
Baird Beer’s Main Lineup
- Baird Angry Boy Brown Ale – a 7.0% brown ale that doesn’t let up.
- Baird Kurofune Porter – a 6.0% porter named after the famed American black ships that came to Japan.
- Baird Numazu Lager – a 4.5% Vienna beer that is cold stored for 4 months before shipping.
- Baird Red Rose Amber Ale – a 6.0% brewed at low temperature.
- Baird Rising Sun Pale Ale – a 6.0% American Pale ale brewed using West-coast style techniques.
- Baird Shimaguni Stout – a 5.0% Irish style stout.
- Baird Shuzenji Heritage Helles – a 5.0% German helles brewed using Bavarian techniques.
- Baird Single Take Session Ale – a 4.5% Belgian ale brewed from Belgian yeast.
- Baird Suruga Bay Imperial IPA – an 8.0% double IPA that is twice dry-hopped.
- Baird Teikoku IPA – a 6.5 English style IPA.
- Baird Wabi-Sabi Japan Pale Ale – a 6.0% hybrid of pale ale and IPA infused with local wasabi and green tea.
- Baird Wheat King Wit – a 5.0% Witbeer brewed from Belgian yeast.
Throughout the year, Baird Beer also produces other beers:
Baird Beer’s Four Seasons
Released quarterly. This list will change every year and retired beers will be marked with an *
- Baird Saison Sayuri – Spring (March) – A 6% saison named after Bryan’s wife, Sayuri.
- Baird Cool Breeze Pils – Summer (June) – A 5% Czech style bohemian pilsner.
- Baird Yabai-Yabai Strong Scotch Ale – Autumn (September) an 8% Scotch ale that is brewed using floor malted Maris Otter malts.
- Baird Dark Sky Imperial Stout – Winter (December) – a 10% imperial stout that gets better with age. If you can wait that long.
Baird Beer’s Monthly Style Series Calendar
Released on the 1st of each month. This list will change every year and retired beers will be marked with an *
- January – Baird Hatsujozo India Pale Lager
- Feb – Baird Ganko Oyaji Barley Wine
- March – Baird Morning Coffee Stout
- April – Baird Four Sisters Spring Bock
- May – Baird Hop Havoc Imperial Pale Ale
- June –Baird Rainy Season Black Ale
- July – Baird Joie De Vivre Golden Ale
- August – Baird Bavarian Breakfast Zwickelweiss
- September – Baird Brewer’s Nightmare Rye IPA
- October – Baird Big Red Machine Fall Classic Ale
- November – Baird West Coast Wheat Wine
- December – Baird Bakayaro! Ale
Baird Beer’s Fruitful Life Series
A series of beers from Baird Beer that take in various fruits and spices from across Japan.
- Baird Asian Beauty Biwa Ale
- Baird Carpenter’s Mikan Ale
- Baird Country Girl Kabocha Ale
- Baird Fruitful Life Citrus IPA
- Baird Japan Tale Ale
- Baird Jubilation Ale
- Baird Second Strike Apple Ale
- Baird Shizuoka Summer Mikan Ale
- Baird Smoke & Fire Habanero Ale
- Baird Temple Garden Yuzu Ale
Baird Beer’s Brewer’s Passion Series Calendar
These beers are produced on a monthly basis, with some being only available in the taprooms, as indicated by a *
- Baird Bureiko Jikan Strong Golden Ale – a 9% Belgian strong ale and is a homage to parties across Japan where the employer and employee relationship is broken during drinking sessions where everything is forgotten the next day.
- Baird Fall Fest Lager – a 6.5% Oktoberfest beer sold in Autumn.
- Baird Pacific Porter – a 9% Pacific porter.
- Baird Shikoku Wit – a Belgian witbier brewed with wheat grown in Kagawa prefecture.
Baird Beer’s Collaboration Beers / Limited Edition
Any Baird Beer collaborations are listed here:
- Baird BB15 Bay Steam – a 5% California common and also one of the original beers on tap at the Baird Numazu Taproom back in 2001; however, this one became the Red Rose Amber Ale.
- Baird BB15 Zamamiro Ale – an 8% golden ale first brewed in 2008 when Baird reached the milestone of 1,000 brews and it makes its return to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Numazu Taproom.
- Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA – first brewed in 2011 to support the Tohoku Earthquake fund.
- Baird Namakemono by Country Boy / Baird Beer – first brewed in 2016 with Country Boy Brewing based in Kentucky.
- Baird Maris Otter 50 ESBaird – 6% English style bitter from Baird Beer that was released in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of Maris Otter.
- Baird Product of Time Saison – an 8% imperial saison brewed in conjunction with and on sale at Craftsman Yokohama.
- Baird Red Comet Colloboration IPA – first brewed in February with Funk Estate, a NZ Brewery, and on sale in July 2016.
- Baird Shinshuwase Wet Hop Ale – a 5% English style pale ale brewed using Shinshuwase hops which were developed and grown in Japan during the 20th century.
- Baird Shohei IPA – a 7.5% American brewed in honour of Shohei Taguchi, who unfortunately passed away in August 2015.
- Baird Tohoku Wet Hop Ale 2016 – a 5.5% American pale ale with Cascade hops from Yamagata and Centennial hops from Miyagi.
The following beers are only available at certain locations of Baird Tap Rooms.
- Baird Baba Oatmeal Smoked Porter – a 5.7% porter that can be found at the Baird Takadanobaba location.
- Baird Nakameguro Bitter – a 6.3% extra special bitter (ESB) brewed using Mandarina Bavaria hops from Germany.
Baird Beer Articles
BeerTengoku first visited Baird Beer in August 2014. Find our articles here:
- Baird Beer Brewery tour here.
- Baird Beer Interview with Bryan Baird and Bryan Baird here.
- Baird Beer Brewery Gardens Shuzenji Taproom here.
- Baird Beer Taproom Nakameguro here.
- Baird Beer Taproom Bashamichi here.
- Baird Beer Taproom Harajuku here.
- Baird Beer Taproom Takadanobaba here.
Baird Beer Details
Address: 1052-1, Oodaira, Izushi, Shizuoka-ken
Brewery Tour: Sat, Sun & Holidays -12:30～, 14:30～, 16:30～ -30 – 45 minute tour -Limit 20 people per tour