Tono Zumona Beer is a craft beer brewery located in Iwate, Japan. Like many other craft beer breweries in Japan, Tono Zumona Beer has its roots in the sake brewery industry with its head company being Tono Shuzo, founded over 200 years ago, back in 1789. The name “Zumona” comes from the Japanese phrase “むかしむかしあったずもな”which roughly translates into “Once upon a time, there was nothing”, referring to the area once not producing any beer.
Tono Zumona Beer Lineup
The following beers are considered to be part of the all-year round lineup
- Zumona Pale Ale – a 5% American pale ale.
- Zumona Weizen – a 5% German hefeweizen.
- Zumona Alt – a 5% altbier brewed to a traditional German recipe.
- Zumona Pilsner – a 5% German pilsner that can be found on both taps and in bottles.
- Zumona Sanriku Umi no Beer – a 5% German pilsner brewed specifically for the Sanriku region.
Tono Zumona Seasonal Lineup
The following beers are part of the seasonal lineup
- Zumona Marzen – a 5.5% Märzen style beer brewed especially for the Oktoberfest season.
Tono Zumona Beer Details
Homepage (in Japanese): http://www.v-toono.jp/kamihei/zumona.html