Hakodate Beer is a craft beer brewery located in Hakodate city, Hokkaido. It opened soon after the deregulation by the Japanese government of the beer licensing system back in December 1996. All of the beers use freshly sourced groundwater from Mt. Hakodate and due to the mineral content, such as calcium and magnesium, of the water, is considered to be hard water on par with the United Kingdom water supplies. The brewery also has a taproom onsite where you can try all of their beers.
Hakodate Beer Lineup
The following beers are part of the all-year lineup:
- Hakodate Weizen – also known as the Star of Goryo, this is a 5% German hefeweizen that is brewed with more than 50% wheat malt.
- Hakodate Alt – also known as Meijikan, this is a 5% altbier brewed to a traditional German recipe.
- Hakodate Ale – also known as Kita no ippon, this is a 5% English style bitter.
- Hakodate Kolsch – also known as Kita no Yakei, or the Northern Nightview, it’s a 5.5% kölsch style beer.
- Hakodate Shacho No Yoku Nomu Biiru – Also known as The beer that the president often drinks in English, it’s a 10% barleywine beer.
- Hakodate Shain no Shusse Suru Beer – a 4.5% English style bitter. The name roughly translates to “The Beer for The Promotion of Employees”, suggesting that whenever you get promoted, you should drink this beer.
Hakodate Beer Limited Edition and Seasonal Lineup
The following beers are part of the limited edition and seasonal lineup
- Hakodate Ichigo no Hatsu Koi – a 4% fruit beer and is part of their spring seasonal line up. It contains locally sourced strawberries from the Hakodate area, which are known as Koiichigo and is usually on sale from the beginning of March onwards.
Hakodate Beer Details
Address: Otemachi 5-22, Hakodate-shi, Hokkaido
Homepage (in Japanese): http://www.hakodate-factory.com/beer/
Online store: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/beer/