Miyashita Shuzo are best known for their sake inside of Japan but outside of Japan, they are better known as the makers of the Doppo range of beers. Based in Okayama, Miyashita Shuzo have been making the Doppo range since 1995 and tag themselves as the pioneer of Japanese craft beer – a bold claim to make but they have been around since the start of craft beer in Japan.
Doppo Beer by Miyashita Shuzo Main Line Up:
- Doppo Pilsner – A 5% pilsner brewed to a Czech style recipe.
- Doppo Dunkel – A 5% German dunkel beer brewed using a recipe from Munich.
- Doppo Schwarz – Schwarz beer brewed using roasted malts to produce a 5% dark lager.
- Doppo Bock – Doppo’s 7% bock made from a traditional North German style.
- Doppo Weizen – Brewed with 50% in the mash to produce this 5% beer.
- Doppo Omachi Sake Rice Lager – Extra speciality Okayama craft beer made with Omachi rice that has been polished until 60%, same as used for Ginjo sake.
- Doppo White Beer for Oyster – A white beer that is brewed to resemble a Chablis style wine that goes well with oysters.
- Doppo Black Beer for Unagi – A black beer that was first brewed as it fitted well with the taste of unagi.
- Doppo Sparkling Beer – Brewed using champagne yeast, this 5% beer has the texture of champagne but beer aroma.
- Doppo Imperial Ale – A 7.5% strong English style ale that is brewed using American yeast and caramel malt.
- Doppo Peach Pils – Brewed with the juice from locally produced Okayama peachers to produce a low-malt beer.
- Doppo Muscat Pils – Brewed with the juice from locally produced Okayama muscat grapes to produce a low-malt beer.
- Doppo Kolsch – Brewed under the name of Kurashiki beer using a German recipe from Cologne.
- Doppo Alt – Brewed under the name of Kurashiki beer using a German recipe from Dusseldorf.
Doppo Beer by Miyashita Shuzo Special Line Up:
- Doppo Sparkling Rose Sakura Ryojou – Beer brewed for the turn into spring which is infused with cherry juice.
- Doppo Chocolate – Chocolate beer produced for Valentine’s Day in Japan (14th February)
- Doppo White Chocolate – White chocolate beer produced for White Day in Japan (14th March)
Doppo Beer by Miyashita Shuzo Details:
Address: 〒703-8258 Okayama, Naka-ku, Nishi-kawabra 184
Homepage (in English): Miyashita Shuzo
Online Store: http://www.msb.co.jp/beer/