Kamakura Beer is a microbrewery located between Zushi and Kamakura in Kanagawa, more precisely, just in front of the Nagoshi tunnel, the main tunnel between Zushi and Kanagawa. Kamakura Beer’s brewing capacity, at the time of writing, is 500L per batch. However, do not let that dissuade you as Kamakura Beer is also a multple award-winning brewery, having won awards for several of their beers: Kamakura Alt, Kamakura Dark Ale, and also their Kamakura Brown Ale.
Kamakura Beer’s Main Lineup
Kamakura Beer’s can be found be in general by one of two names. We have listed them both here for your convenience; however, they tend to be called by their styles.
- Kamakura 花/Flower aka Brown Ale – a 5.5% brown ale that is well paired with cheese or desserts.
- Kamakura 月/Moon aka Alt – a 5.5% altbier that is top-fermented and akin to an amber ale.
- Kamakura 星/Star aka Pale Ale – a hoppy 5.5% pale ale that is suited to eating with sashimi.
Kamakura Beer’s Seasonal Lineup
Kamakura Beer also produces the following seasonal beer throughout the year but on a much smaller scale.
- Kamakura 星の大河/Taiga of Stars aka English Ale – a 5.5% English ale brewed using British hops.
- Kamakura My Funny Valentine – a 5.5% dunkel style beer brewed for Valentine’s day.
- Kamakura 月夜の虹/Moonlight Rainbow aka Classic Pale Ale – another 5.5% UK inspired amber ale that is closer to a pale ale.
Kamakura Beer’s Regional Lineup
Kamakura Beer also produces several beers that can only be bought in certain areas of Kanagawa. If you know where these places are, then you can pick them up from that area.
- Kamakura 横須賀ビール/Lokosuka Beer – a 5.5% bitter that pairs well with Yokosuka’s local food; curry.
- Kamakura 江ノ島のビール/Enoshima Beer – a 5.5% Kölsch beer that pairs up with the local produce of Enoshima; seafood.
- Kamakura 葉山ビール/Hayama Beer – a 5.5% bitter that is based around the local sailing club’s food; BBQ
Kamakura Beer Details
Address: 〒248-0007 Kanagawa-ken, Kamakura-shi, Omachi 5-9-29
Website (in Japanese): Kamakura Beer homepage