Ever since foreigners first settled in Yokohama, it has been a place synonymous with beer. Beer was first brewed in Yamate in 1870, with the first brewery “Spring Valley Beer”, which has recently been brought back via the Kirin beer company. Yokohama Brewery was established in 1995 and is the largest craft beer producer in Yokohama. In 2010, the head brewer, Shinya Suzuki, left Yokohama Brewery for Bay Brewing; the current head brewer, Gojo-san, has taken the company towards producing Belgian-style beers.
Yokohama Brewery Main Lineup
The following beers are part of the Yokohama Brewery main lineup.
- Yokohama Bohemian Pilsner – a 5.5% Czech style pilsner brewed using Salz hops and Bohemian yeast;
- Yokohama Alt – a 5.5% German style alts brewed using caramel malt and imported yeast;
- Yokohama Weizen – an award-winning wheat beer brewed using 50% barley and 50% wheat;
- Yokohama IPA – an award-winning English style IPA brewed using imported malt and hops from the UK;
- Yokohama Pale ale – a 5.0% American pale ale brewed with imported hops from the USA;
- Yokohama Lager – 2011 Japan cup bronze winning beer brewed using New Zealand hops four times.
Yokohama Brewery Seasonal and Limited Edition Lineup
The following beers are part of the seasonal and Limited Edition lineup
- Yokohama Criollo Ale – a 5% winter stout that is part of the range of beers from before Gojo-san took over.
- Yokohama Belgian Wheat – a 5% collaborative beer between Yokohama Brewery and Sogo department store.
- Yokohama Ale – a 5.5% English bitter ale collaboration between Yokohama Brewery and Spring Valley Brewery to celebrate 150th anniversary of the opening of Yokohama port.
- Yokohama YABAcious IPA – a 6.5% American IPA and part of their entry into the 2017 Japan Brewers’ Cup.
- Yokohama Seya no Komugi Beer – a 5.5% wheat ale and is part of their Summer seasonal line up and contains wheat, or komugi, that has been locally sourced from the Seya-ward of Yokohama.
- Yokohama Peated Black – a 6% smoked beer which uses peated malt NOT peat from Ireland.
Yokohama Brewery Articles
- Umaya no Shokutaku – the brewpub / restaurant for the brewery.
Yokohama Brewery Information
Address: 231-0013, Kanagawa-ken, Yokohama-shi, Naka-ku, Sumiyoshi 6-68-1
Website (Japanese only): http://www.yokohamabeer.com
Online store (Japanese only): http://www.yokohamabeer.net/