Black Tide Brewing is a brewpub located in Kesennuma, in Miyagi, Japan. The brewery opened up in July 2020 while the bar attached to the brewery opened up December 2019, after a short period of crowdfunding from the domestic market. Black Tide Brewing came about from when James Watney, originally from Seattle, visited the area in November 2018 after hearing about a plan to open a brewery in the area. For those who don’t know, Kesennuma was hard hit during the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, and since that time, searches for “Kesennuma” brought up images of the damage caused to the city, rather than the improvements made since then. Black Tide Brewing, abbreviated to BTB, takes its name from the current that runs past the Eastern coast of Japan, known as the Kuroshio Current, that brings in warm water from the Pacific Ocean.
Black Tide Brewing Lineup
The following are some of the beers we’ve had from Black Tide Brewing:
- Black Tide Monster Gold – a 6% American IPA rewed using imported Strata hops, with the name “Monster Gold” stemming from the gold mines that were once found in the Kesunnuma area.
- Black Tide Drift Net – a 6% hazy IPA brewed using Bravo and Citra hops, as well as the relatively new strain of hops called BRU-1
- Black Tide Kesemoi – a 6% NE-IPA brewed using Galaxy, Amarillo, Sultana, and Citra hops, and takes its name from the Japanese “けせもい=静かな海” which supposedly means quiet sea.
- Black Tide Midnight Chaos – a 6% oatmeal stout and is the first dark beer to come from Black Tide Brewing.
- Black Tide Azure Wind – an 8.5% rice beer and is a collaborative effort with a local sake brewery called Otokoyama.
Black Tide Brewing Details
Address: 3-2-5 Minamimachi, Kesennuma, Miyagi 988-0017
Online Store: https://btb-shop.shop-pro.jp/