Hi no Tani Kogen Beer is a craft beer brewery located in Mie, Japan. They are also sometimes called Fire Valley Beer as well, though since 2015, their beers have been progressively marketed under the Japanese name. It’s part of the Mizawa resort, that first opened in 1954, with the brewery itself opening in July 1998. The brewery came about when the resort owner travelled to the USA on holiday and saw the increasing range of craft beers and thought was amazed by the pale ales found over there. The owner came back to Japan and was intent on opening ad brewery that could make similar tasting beers to those found in America. Hi no Tani Kogen Beer also uses locally sourced natural spring water from the area in all of their beers.
Hi no Tani Kogen Beer Lineup
The following are part of Hi no Tani Kogen Beer’s all year round lineup.
- Hi no Tani Kogen Ninja – a 5% dunkel beer brewed using ancient brewer’s rice and also black rice from Iga.
- Hi No Tani Irish Red Ale – a 5% Irish ale brewed using Maris Otter and Amarillo hops only.
- Hi no Tani Kogen Sour – a 5% sour beer brewed using sour mashing techniques.
Hi no Tani Kogen Beer Seasonal Lineup
The following are part of Hi no Tani’s seasonal lineup
- Hi no Tani Valentine’s Porter – a 5% porter that uses chocolate malt to make a black beer – talk about stating the obvious.
- Hi no Tani Ibuki Red – a 5% red ale brewed using Maris Otter, imported from the UK, and also Ibuki hops from Japan.
Hi no Tani Kogen Beer Details
Address: 6121 Yacchi, Misugi-machi, Tsu-shi, Mie Prefecture, Japan 515-3421
Homepage (in Japanese): http://www.misugi.com/beer.html
Online store (in Japanese): http://hinotani.thebase.in/