You may have heard of Sagami Beer, but have you heard of Koganei Shuzo? If not, then it is not a big surprise as they are better known for being a sake distillery rather than a beer producer. The distillery is located in the foothills of the Tanzawa range of mountains in western Kanagawa, near Atusgi city and they started brewing beers back in 1998. Koganei Shuzo uses locally sourced water from the Nanasawa river that has been purified after passing through the rocks of the Tanzawa mountain range. Moreover, for their beers that use adjuncts, such as rice or fruits, they are all locally sourced from the surrounding farms in the area, of which there are plenty.
The distiller site also includes an Italian restaurant, called Selvaggina, that has the whole range of Sagami Beers on tap as well as some bottles for sale as well, if you are in the area. Selvaggina also has some limited edition releases from Sagami Beer, such as the Sagami Chocolate which is released in winter and is yet to be seen in bottled form.
Sagami Beer Main Lineup
The following beers are part of the all-year round range of beers:
- Sagami Kolsch – a 5% kölsch style beer based on a traditional recipe from Cologne, Germany.
- Sagami Alt – a 5% alt style beer that is brewed to strict German standards.
- Sagami Pale Ale – a 4.5% American pale ale that is brewed using 100% Cascade hops.
- Sagami Stout – a 5% English style stout that changed its label from green to black in 2015.
- Sagami Weizen – a 5.5% German hefeweizen that is brewed using 50% wheat malt.
- Sagami Kabosu – a 5% fruit beer that is classified as a happoshu due to the large quantities of cabos used in the fermentation stage.
Koganei Shuzo Details
Address: 〒243-0121, Kanagawa-ken, Atsugi-shi, Nanasawa 769
Online Store: Koganei Shuzou online store
Social Network: Facebook