North Island Beer is a craft beer brand brewed by SOC Brewing at its factory in the suburbs of Sapporo that started out in 2003. Two beer-loving college friends trained in Canada to become meisters went on to begin brewing beer in Sapporo’s Higashi-ku. In May 2009, North Island Beer moved to Ebetsu city they relocated to in 2009 to a much larger premises where it is possible to go on a tour of the factory, experience beer making for yourself. North Island Beer also operates a bar in Sapporo called Beer Bar NORTH ISLAND”, you can taste a total of eight craft beers, fresh from the barrel, including six classic beers and two limited-edition beers.
North Island Beer Main Lineup
The North Island Beer range consists of six main beers available throughout the year:
- North Island Pilsner – North Island Beer’s take on a pilsner style beer that has an abv of 5%.
- North Island Brown Ale – A brown ale with an abv of 5% best served at between 7°c and 10°c.
- North Island Weizen – A 5% German style hefeweizen brewed using locally sourced wheat.
- North Island Stout – A 5.5% top-fermented stout.
- North Island IPA – North Island Beer’s version of an American style IPA.
- North Island Coriander Black – Made with fresh coriander seeds to produce a 5.5% spiced ale.
North Island Beer Limited Edition
North Island Beer have also been known to produce some collaborations as well. We’ll list them as we try them:
- North Island / Mikkeller Haskap Blonde – Collaboration between the Danish craft beer brewers Mikkeller that use haskap berries.
- North Island M’s Lager Masaji the Great – A 6% pilsner annually produced beer to celebrate the life of Masaji Oshita, president of Minoh Beer.
- North Island Kamifu 100 Pale Ale – A 5.5% American Pale Ale brewed using locally grown Cascade hops from the Kamifurano area.
North Island Beer Details
Address: 〒067-0031 Hokkaido, Ebetsu-shi, Motomachi 11-5
Homepage (in Japanese): http://www.2002cb.co.jp/index.html
Online Store: http://beer.ocnk.net/