Hakone Beer is a brewery located in Kazamatsuri, Odawara. They’ve been licensed to make beer since 2000, and their beers have won numerous awards in both the International Beer Competition and the Asia Beer Cup. They brew using water from the mountain springs in the area, which is free of iron.
The beer is available on tap in “Elena Gosso” (a buffet restaurant adjacent to the brewery) and also in the brewery shop itself. It is also available in 330ml screw-top cans, although the very short shelf life of the beer (around two weeks) means that it’s limited to souvenir and gift shops around major tourist spots in the Hakone area.
Hakone Beer Lineup
Hakone Beer’s lineup consists of two regulars and one seasonal beer. They will also brew limited edition beers.
- Hakone Pils – a 5.5% Pilsner
- Hakone Odawara Ale – a 5% amber ale
Seasonal Beers & Limited Edition Beers
- Hakone Kazamatsuri Stout, 7.5%
- Hakone Harumeki Pale Ale – a 5.5% American pale ale
- Hakone Chocotto Ichigo – made with Odawara strawberries. 6%
- Hakone Odawara Lemon – a 4.5% fruit beer brewed using locally sourced lemons from neighbouring Odawara.
- Hakone Ashigara Weizen, 4.5%
- Hakone Koyurugi Brown Ale – A 5% brown ale
Hakone Beer Details
Website (in Japanese): http://www.hakone-beer.com/
Their beers can be bought online at kamaboko.com.