Kiuchi Brewery is located in Naka, Ibaraki and has been brewing alcoholic beverages since 1823. Kiuchi Brewery started out brewing sake and shochu; however, they moved over to producing beer in 1996 due to the change in licensing laws, founding Hitachino Nest beers. Kiuchi Brewery were one of the first Japanese breweries to use European techniques, such as using barrels used in wine or whisky production, to add flavour their beers.
Kiuchi Brewery Line Up:
The following are part of the all year round lineup
- Hitachino Nest White ale – an award-winning Belgian-style wheat beer;
- Hitachino Nest Pale ale – an English style pale ale;
- Hitachino Nest Weizen – a German style here weizen
- Hitachino Nest Lacto Sweet stout – a low bitterness stout;
- Hitachino Nest Red rice ale – a Japanese rice ale made using ancient red rice;
- Hitachino Nest Extra high (XH) – a strong Belgian ale matured in the brewery’s sake barrels;
- Hitachino Nest Japanese classic ale – a traditional bottled conditioned ale brewed using British hops;
- Hitachino Nest Celebration ale – similar to a wheat ale;
- Hitachino Nest Amber ale – a traditional amber ale brewed using British hops;
- Hitachino Nest Real Ginger ale – a classic ginger ale brewed using raw ginger;
- Hitachino Nest Espresso stout – a Russian Imperial stout infused with dark roasted espresso beans;
- Hitachino Nest Nipponia – based on a traditional Japanese recipe using Japanese barley and Japanese hops;
- Hitachino Nest DAi DAi IPA – an IPA brewed using wild Japanese hops and the daidai orange.
- Hitachino Nest Saison Du Japan – Released in 2014, Hitachino Nest’s take on the saison.
- Hitachino Nest Lager – Released in 2015, Hitachino Nest finally made a move into the lager market.
Kiuchi Brewery Information
Address: 311-0133 Ibaragi-ken, Naka-shi, Kounosu 1257
Online Store: http://kodawari.cc/shop/html/
Kiuchi Brewery Articles
The following are a list of articles about Kiuchi Brewery
- Kiuchi Brewery Tour – read about our short tour around the brewery.
- An Interview with Kiuchi Brewery – read our interview with Kiuchi Brewery.
- True Brew Hitachino Nest Tasting Room Mito – check out our review of the bar in Mito where you can try some of their beers.
- Hitachino Brewing Lab – check out our review of the taproom for the brewery in Akihabara, Tokyo.