Johana Beer is a Japanese craft beer brewery located in Nanto city, Toyama, Japan. The brewery opened in 2001, though under rather an auspicious background not in brewing, but in the steel manufacturing business. Chief brewer Yamamoto Masaru, along with his father, went for the happoshu license, which allows them to make smaller quantities of beer, though with the minor addition of an additive. However, Johana Beer almost didn’t make it past its second year, due to poor sales, though with the introduction of some flavoured beers, they proved to be popular and thus have grown since.
Johana Beer Lineup
The following beers are part of Johana Beer’s all-year round lineup
- Johana Hakama IPA – a 6% American IPA which is also known as Johana IPA.
- Johana Mugiya Ale – a 5.5% American pale ale, also known as Johana Pale Ale, brewed with locally grown wheat.
- Johana Earl Grey – a 5% spiced beer that uses Earl Grey tea during the secondary fermentation. Recommended to be drunk hot apparently.
Johana Beer Seasonal and Limited Edition Lineup
The following beers are part of Johana Beer’s seasonal and limited edition lineup
- Johana Masaji the Great! Ore no Aji – a 6% American IPA that is Johana Beer’s annual contribution to the #masajithegreat project.
- Johana Kagayaki Wheat Seven – a 7% American IPA that was brewed to celebrate the opening of the Shinkansen line through to Toyama.
- Johana Mukaino no Sakura – a 5% fruit beer that uses locally sourced sakura leaves in the brewing process. Available in Spring.
- Johana Kaede – a 5% fruit beer that uses fresh blackcurrents in the brewing process.
- Johana Kinu no Kahori – a 4.5% wheat ale that is brewed using yuzu and “silk powder” according to the website.
- Johana Hikiyama Black – a 5.5% black IPA that was first released in 2017.
- Johana Grand Blue – a 4.5% fruit beer available in summer that is blue.
- Johana Tropical Pink – a 4.5% fruit beer brewed using grapefruits that is available in summer and is pink.
Johana Beer Details
Address: 340 Hosono, Nanto-shi, Toyama Prefecture, Japan 939-1805
Homepage (in Japanese): http://www.jo-beer.com/
Online Store: http://www.jo-beer.com/?mode=srh&cid=&keyword=