Aoi Brewing is a craft beer brewery and brewpub located in Shizuoka city, Shizuoka, and is the first brewery to be located in the city’s area. It opened in 2013 though didn’t start producing beer until 2014 and in 2016, Aoi Brewing first released their beers in bottled form. They have also branched out into bars and restaurants, with Aoi Beer Stand as well serving their beers in Shizuoka, as well as Grow Stock, Beer Garage, and Beer Junkie Motel. Like most small breweries in Japan, Aoi Brewing’s beers are sold under happoshu license, though over 99% of the mash of the beer is malts. All of the water used in Aoi Brewing’s lineup is sourced from local aquifers and all of the malts used are imported from either the UK or from Germany.
Aoi Brewing Lineup
The following beers are part of Aoi Brewing’s all-year round lineup:
- Aoi Brewing Zen-infused Ocha Ale – a 5% spice beer brewed with Pilsner Malt, Munich Malt, and Magnum, Tettnang, Styrian Golding hops along with locally sourced Japanese green tea.
- Aoi Brewing Ice Breaker Golden Ale – a 5% golden ale brewed with Pilsner Malt, Munich Malt along with Merkur and Hallertau Blanc hops.
- Aoi Brewing Stolen Addiction ALT – a 5.5% German altbier brewed with Maris Otter Ale Malt, Crystal Malt, Munich Malt, Black Malt, Chocolate Malt and hopped using Magnum and Select.
- Aoi Brewing Paid Vacation IPA – a 6.5% English IPA brewed with Maris Otter Ale Malt, Crystal Malt, Munich Malt, with Challenger, Fuggle, and Kent Golding hops used,
- Aoi Brewing Sweet Desperation Grass Wheat Ale – a 5% wheat ale brewed with Pilsner Malt, Wheat Malt with Saphir and Perle hops, along with Coriander, Orange Peel, Lemon Grass, and Lemon Peel adjuncts.
- Aoi Brewing Garage Revolution Dry Stout – a 5% dry stout brewed with Maris Otter Ale Malt, Crystal Malt, Black Malt, Roasted Barley, Flaked Barley, Wheat Malt along with Challenger and Kent Golding hops.
- Aoi Brewing Friday Night Hefeweizen – a 5.5% German hefeweizen made from Pilsner Malt, Wheat Malt and Tettnang hops.
- Aoi Brewing Harumi Mikan Ale – a 5% fruit beer brewed using German Pilsner, and German wheat malt, along with Belgium Aroma 150, US Cascade, German Sapphire, and German Hallertau Blanc hops, and uses dry English ale yeast, and locally sourced Harumi mikans.
Aoi Brewing Seasonal and Draft Lineup
The following beers are part of Aoi Brewing’s seasonal and draft lineup and will be updated as we drink them.
Aoi Brewing Details
Address: 30 Miyagasaki-cho, Aoi-ku, Shizuoka, Japan
Homepage (in Japanese): http://aoibrewing.com/