Outsider Brewing is located in Kofu, Yamanashi around 90 minutes west of Tokyo. Outsider Brewing have been producing beers since 2012 with head brewer Niwa-san having an excellent reputation in the Japanese craft beer industry, and owner Mark Major personally sourcing him out to join the company. The company is noted for using wild yeast flavours in their beers, rather than the cultivated yeasts that breweries tend to use.
Outsider Brewing’s Main Lineup
Outsider Brewing can be found on tap from time to time around craft beer bars around Tokyo and Japan. If you are in Kofu, then there is a taproom called Hops and Herbs here that sells Outsider Brewing beer.
- Outsider Innkeeper Bitter Lager – A 6% slightly bitter lager, with an IBU of 32 units. Pairs well with Asian cuisine.
- Outsider Flanders Belgian White – A 5.5% wheat beer with an IBU of 9 units, making it fairly mild.
- Outsider The Counties Pale Ale – A 5.5% slightly bitter pale ale, with an IBU of 29 units, which goes well with meat dishes.
- Outsider Bunyip Australian IPA – A 6.5% heavily hopped IPA, with an IBU of 58 units brewed using Australian hops.
- Outsider Drunk Monk Triple – An 8% Belgian strong ale that is slightly mild with an IBU of 15 units.
- Outsider The Dark Side Imperial Stout – An 8% Russian Imperial stout style beer that is hopped with British Challenger hops.
- Outsider Enigma IPA – A 6% IPA that is brewed using 100% Australian hops. Won Gold medal at the 2016 Japan Brewer’s Cup.
Outsider Brewing has been known to produce some barley wines from time to time; however, as of writing, none are considered to be regular beers.
Outsider Brewing Details
Address: 〒400-0032, Yamanashi-ken, Kofu-shi, Chuou 1-1-5 Miyasawa Biru 1F
Website (in Japanese): Outsider Brewing homepage